TSR Forum Index

<  Other  ~  James' solo albums & projects

Stephan
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Let's discuss James' solo albums and projects. And I start with "Leonardo The Absolute Man". I wonder if Dirk and the other guys from TSR know this album...
Agustin
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jul 2006 Posts: 11 Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
yeah... I wonder too.

From all side projects (not solo albums), the one on which James excells himself is FRAMSHIFT: UNWEAVING THE RAINBOW. I had never heard James sing like that, and a special mention to the amazing triads and a capella parts, just plain GREAT!!

Greets!

From Rudolph's aria "Che Gelida Manina!" from La Boheme.
SpacemanSpiff
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Mullmuzzer and Frameshift are great. James also appears on Shadow Gallery's Tyranny.
lostintheshadows
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Posts: 14 Location: Canberra, Australia
What was the Fates warning album James was on?

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
without a doubt,music-wise, his best solo effort/side project is his Elements of Persuasion. vocal-wise?hard to say, but i love him on The Human Equation. good mix of talents

support music!!!
SpacemanSpiff
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
janhalik wrote:
without a doubt,music-wise, his best solo effort/side project is his Elements of Persuasion. vocal-wise?hard to say, but i love him on The Human Equation. good mix of talents

Areyon's projects are simply amazing!

Here's a list of all JLB's side projects and solo material
http://www.thefunkygibbons.net/James%20LaBrie.html

Elements of Persuasion
Mullmuzzler 1
Mullmuzzler 2
Ayreon - The Human Experiment
Frameshift - Unweaving the rainbow
Leonardo - The Absolute Man
Tim Donahue - Madmen and Sinners
Winter Rose

and a bunch of smaller contributions *Rush, Queen, ELP tributes are all listed on that site*

Lostintheshadows: te FW album was Parallels
HaRdT
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Elements of Persuasion
Mullmuzzler 1
Mullmuzzler 2
Ayreon - The Human Experiment
Frameshift - Unweaving the rainbow
Leonardo - The Absolute Man
Winter Rose

and a bunch of smaller contributions *Rush, Queen, ELP tributes are all listed on that site*

Lostintheshadows: te FW album was Parallels

From those, my favorites are (in order):
The Human Equation
Mullmuzzler 1 & 2
Leonardo

I know about winter rose... but never had the chance to listened to it Sad

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
Winter Rose is a great disc. If you can find it online, go with that because it's quite rare to have a real copy.
lutima
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
I love Mullmuzzler I and II ! Specially songs like A Simple Man, Sacrifice..
Elements of Persuasion to me is James' best album until now..it shows how James is now; at his best in every way !! Cool
I hope the TSR project is the reason why James didn't start his new solo album just yet...

THE is an album I listen to a lot too, great songs, great vocalists.
The Absolute Man has beautiful songs as well.
I prefer Frameshift more than Madmen and Sinners. The Babysteps project only has 3 songs with James on vocals, the samples I heard aren't long enough to know how James sounds.....I hope to hear the entire songs soon.
Winter Rose is such a great album !! It's the kind of music I grew up with and I'm grateful I have the cd signed by James too !

As you can tell, I love all James' styles but I know James sounds better than ever right now, so I can't wait to hear the TSR album Smile !

@SpacemanSpiff...are you THEFunkygibbons ?? Smile

Caroline

SpacemanSpiff
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
No, I am not TFG, but his site is complete when it comes to Side Projects and stuff.

I use the name screename on MP.com. Razz
lutima
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
No, I am not TFG, but his site is complete when it comes to Side Projects and stuff.

I use the name screename on MP.com. Razz

Oh..I see..I have the same nickname sometimes added with .mp on all DT related forums...the only forums I go to..

Caroline

Metropolis
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I really like Elements of persuasion and I think it is James' best work.
I also like Mullmuzzler Keep it to yourself and 2. I like the 2nd more than the first. My favorite songs are A simple man, Falling, Venice burning and Listening. The other songs from the album are also great. One of my favorites is Ayreon: The human equation where James is singing the main character. I bought Frameshift unweaving the rainbow some weeks ago and I had to say that I really like the album. James' voice sounds great there.
What can I say about Winter Rose??? It is a great album. James' voice is incredible. He shows his high singing and his great vocal tehnique. Some days ago I bought Winter Rose Live in Toronto 1990 bootleg and it is really an incredible concert. James' singing is like on the album he is fantastic and Richard Chycki and the others did also a great job.

Last edited by Metropolis on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
lutima wrote:
I love Mullmuzzler I and II ! Specially songs like A Simple Man, Sacrifice..
Elements of Persuasion to me is James' best album until now..it shows how James is now; at his best in every way !! Cool

OMG! ! ! Embarassed Embarassed ! ! !

Where was my mind?!?!?!?!?!? I completely forgot EoP! ! ! Embarassed
Ok, here goes my updated rank Razz

His Works
Elements of Persuasion
Mullmuzzler 1 & 2
Winter Rose

Guest Singer
The Human Equation
Leonardo

@ SpacemanSpiff :
Hey dude, I found Winter Rose, and LOVED =D

@ lutima :
A Simple Man, Confronting the Devil... Mullmuzzler is GREAT! Cool

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, my brief opinions on all the others not-DT stuff James sang on...

Winter Rose

Heard the stuff, well.... mh, not my cake, sorry Razz but James' singing is nice and stratospheric (in all senses!!!), plus I'll Never Fall in Love Again is so addictive Wink

Keep it to Yourself

Awesome album, awesome songs, even the lyrics are awesome too... I totally love it since the first listening and I still like it to this day. The first three songs, Guardian Angel, Slow Burn are all excellent songs. Too bad that James played live only Shores of Avalon on his solo tour, off this album, I would have loved to hear the first two tracks and / or Guardian Angel as well... anyway, I can still listen to them anytime I want Wink

Ma, you know you can't hold me now...
Ma, would you like to hold me now...

*shivers*

Mullmuzzler 2

While I think that the best songs are on KitY, I think that as an album this one is better, is more cohesive, more consistent. A lot of killer songs on here as well (the Venice / Devil combo, A Simple Man, Falling, and my totally favorite Stranger....... James may remember about my love for this song eheheheh Razz ), and once again very powerful lyrics. I just love the mix of musicianship, thoughful lyrics and James' deliver on both Mullmuzzler, kudos to Matt Guillory as well Cool

Elements of Persuasion

While I feel that the "vibe" of the two Mullmuzzler album is missing here, I still like it very much, once again the vast majority of songs are totally superb, and the hard elements are a nice addition too Razz favorite songs on here are the first 2, Lost, Pretender, Slighty Out of Reach, but all the tunes have something memorable. Another full center for James!

Ayreon - The Human Equation

While I'm not really an Ayreon fan, I definitively like this one... maybe it's a bit too long, but nearly all the songs are good, and James shines on the ones he does...

Never heard about this guy, but I heard about James (deheheh), so how could I not check this out? Razz very nice progressive metal, lot of good songs with the title track being the highlight of the album... the climax of the song is delivered by James with a killer performance! and once again he rocks out through the rest of the album, convincingly heavy on the hard songs, and mellow, sweet, touching and heartfelt like only him can do on the ballads (such as Wildest Dreams)... great discs Cool

Leonardo The Absolute Man

Now this is something completely amazing and beautiful. A wonderful dive in Italy's renaissance, with a lot of guests and James playing the Absolute Man himself, Leonardo, throughout his entire life - there are a lot of awesome and mindblowing songs, such as Reins of Tuscan, Mona Lisa, First Commission, but the definitive highlights are the wonderful duet of This Time, This Way, and *the* masterpiece of the album and one of James, IMHO, best performances ever: the wonderful and breathtaking Shaping the Invisible....... never such a title was so fitting to the singer that was performing the song! a beautiful piece, the first half only piano and voice, that glorifies Leonardo's love for music and that glorifies in turn James... don't know how many singers could sing this song, or better: don't know, out of the singers that *could*, technically, sing this song, perform it with the same load of sheer emotions that James put on this tune... truly something that one day he has to perform live, and then add at the end "eat my ass and balls" in face of all the deaf naysayers that still insist that he's bad at singing live Razz

Mh, not such "brief" opinions but I have nothing to do, an account, a brand new board to fill up so what the heck...................... dheheheheheheh Razz

PVCLaBrie
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
The ones I most like are Mullmuzzler, Frameshift and Elements of Persuasion, of course all the projects are excelent but those are my favorites.
I just bought Frameshift a week ago, because here is very dificult to find those discs, but now that I have its amazing, the vocal work is excelente and although the music.